Overview

After working with fellow educators from around the United States in an engaging online global education course last fall, and then meeting in Washington D.C. for a weekend symposium in February, I will embark on the final culmination of the program: global education in Morocco. From cultural site visits, presentations at the Ministry of Education, an embassy visit, and teaming with a teacher in his classroom for a week, this is sure to be a once and a lifetime professional learning experience. This blog will chronicle the adventure.

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Collaboration, Culture, and Cafes


Wendy and I started our day by observing a geography class. Although the teacher conducted the class in Arabic, we could follow the lesson with the maps in the book and the help of Rayhane, who explained in English what was happening. What energy the teacher and students had in the class!  The entire period was a rapid-fire lecture with questions and answers. So many of the students hands shot up yelling "teacher, teacher" to answer her questions. There wasn't a moment lull. The excitement to learn was invigorating.  It is clear that learning material in their native language is easier of course, and the students responded so positively to the teacher. I actually noticed so many more boys participating in this class than in the English class. Are they more confident in the subject matter?  Do they find geography more interesting? It was so enlightening to sit in a class that was taught in another language yet with the use of images, body language, and observation, still be able to comprehend some material.


Near the end of the class we were able to share some details about tornadoes-- Wendy elaborated on this as she is from Kansas-- and I spoke a little about population shifts in our nation and Arctic air pushing down in the winter. When I saw the teacher in the teacher's lounge, I gave her the map of Michigan I brought. I know that many things can be found on the computer, but since I still like to use physical props, I hope she will enjoy this.

The next hour Wendy and I worked in more detail on our team-teaching lesson. Youssef has been teaching about cultural values and is now moving to citizenship. We discussed the culture text from his book, and then said we want to continue to share with them about our culture.Wendy had the students make a T-chart, and write similar on one side and different on the other. Then, as she presented her PowerPoint about Kansas, her life, and her school, we asked the students to write down what they noticed was similar to their own country and then of course what was different. iPhone-- similar. Corn-- similar. Sunflower-- similar. Music class-- different. Football-- different. Lunch at school-- different. It's funny, we presented the same lesson to three classes, and I just like in my own classes at home, in one class it was more of a struggle, in one class they had such serious and deep insights, and in another class they were lively and fun. I even caught two kids using their phones in class-- that's similar!  The last period of our lesson we shared our appreciation and gifts with Youssef for being such a great host showing us the culture and education of Nador.


After the lesson Rayhana asked for a picture and gave us each a beautiful key chain with Moroccan designs. She is truly a special student who leads many activities at the school, including coordinating our welcome reception last Friday. 


In addition to team-teaching with Wendy today, I had the chance to teach emotions to Lahbib's junior level students. Some of the sophomore students also came into the class, so we had at least 50 kids in there! And since they were at different levels, I had to try to adapt this lesson on the spot. The first thing we did was discuss the emotions-- what does exhausted mean?  what does enraged mean?  what does jealous mean? I tried to get the older students to explain to the younger students the terms. For my students reading this, I am sure you know that for every emotion I dramatically expressed this feeling. I pounded on the desk to show I was enraged, I practically fainted to show exhaustion, you all get the idea. Then, after this, I asked them to write a sentence or a very brief dialogue using the term, and then to show the emotion. Wow, what courage, what actors we have in this group!  I know that many of the Stevenson students present skits in front of the class frequently for in their Spanish, French, German, or Japanese classes so I was trying to model this. I thought the kids did a great job and it was so much fun presenting.

During our two-hour lunch break Youssef took us to the university near the high school where we met with a science teacher who showed us the research labs and the incredibly modern equipment. This was such a beautiful, modern facility and campus. I loved how bright white the buildings are, which is how the other schools are as well. This is what the city hall likes for government buildings, white. It added to the scientific element as a pristine presentation demonstrating the value of excellence here. Although we toured the science labs, law, humanities, languages, and other typical courses of liberal arts college are offered here.     

Lastly, but certainly not least, we joined Youssef, Lahbib, and their colleagues from the middle and primary school at the cafe near the school for happy hour of coffee. Here we held deep philosophical conversations. Similar or different?  The similarity is that I often discuss current event issues and other intelligent subjects with my teacher-colleagues, but if it is after work, it is most likely a discussion over a beer-- different.

In this philosophical forum we discussed change in the youth in Morocco in that students are not as respectful to the teachers and adults. Similar, huh?  We discussed the problem with media and technology. Similar, huh?  They asked us exactly what is meant by the American Dream. They asked us if we teach our students about the crimes Columbus committed against the natives, and the British and Americans continued after him. And what about English?  Lahbib is working on his dissertation regarding linguistic imperialism of English, and asked us about ten interview questions, which Youssef recorded on his phone. Do I understand this term? Do I think Great Britain and the United States are trying to force the language in other countries, do I think this is an effect of globalization, what do I think the future of the English language is?  Wow, what intellectual engagement!  What a thoughtful exchange of ideas. I am so thankful to have had this meeting and truly wish we had time for more conversations like this.
I have no photos of this scene, and I am glad. The best experiences are simply remembered :)

2 comments: