Overview

After working with fellow educators from around the United States in an engaging online global education course last fall, and then meeting in Washington D.C. for a weekend symposium in February, I will embark on the final culmination of the program: global education in Morocco. From cultural site visits, presentations at the Ministry of Education, an embassy visit, and teaming with a teacher in his classroom for a week, this is sure to be a once and a lifetime professional learning experience. This blog will chronicle the adventure.

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Around the Mountains to the Sea

Sunday fun day!  Youssef and Robin met us at the cafe attached to our hotel, and after seeing Robin off at the bus station, he took Wendy and I to the sea. What a beautiful drive! We drove about 80 kilometers (about one hour) east of Nador to Youssef's favorite beach: Cape de l'eau.

Look at that sky!  Look at the land! There is nothing like a road trip to excite your sense of wonder. 

The long and winding road...  

What do you think, is this like Arizona? Wyoming? California?  Today as we drove along, I had flashbacks of road trips taken in the past, in my youth especially. Forever young, that is what travel does for me, keeps me forever young, with a new perspective, and a fresh outlook.

Good thing I put on sunscreen before we left, as it was blinding on the beach. On another note, there were so many sea shells along the beach. It wasn't only the amount of shells that amazed us, but how in tact they were. Few were broken, and they were all so thickly, perfectly shaped. Of course we collected a few souvenirs :)

Wendy calls him the Amazing Youssef!  Thanks to the amazing Youssef, we had an amazing day!

Fishermen are out mending their nets. The old Renault car sitting there is also a relic from the past. I wonder if I went to Maine, Alaska, or New Foundland, if I would see a similar scene.



Hola Spain! Yes, these islands are owned by Spain. Actually, here in the north, most people speak and understand Spanish more than French. 
We saw a few random donkeys on the side of the road. Actually, it isn't all that rare for us to see donkeys in the city as well, often pulling a cart. We also see random herds of goats, yet even in the city on empty plots of land next to a brand new villa. The old and the new blend so naturally here.


                                                Thanks Youssef for insisting on taking pictures.


And now after a day of fun in the sun, I am getting ready to turn-in for the night. We have an early day tomorrow. Apparently every Monday at 8:00 the students stand in the courtyard and sing the national anthem while raising the flag. All 450 students of the school!  The taxi is coming to get us at 7:30 so Wendy and I can make it for this event. We may even get to raise the flag!  I can't wait to get back to the school with the students and staff. The weekend can't last forever...

6 comments:

  1. Perfect Amie. Well-said and well-described. you have a vivid memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What colors and beauty! I am so glad Youssef took pictures of you too! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Libby! I was thinking of you when I saw the fishermen, as I know how much you love to see the people and interact with them when we visit other places. I am missing you so much on this trip, my traveling buddy :)

      Delete
  3. Cool pics! I'm jealous of your road trip :) I'm happy you're having such a good time! I loved the artwork you put in your last post. It's so interesting to see their culture! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reading Sarah! It has been great practicing my French here as well.

    ReplyDelete