Overview

After working with fellow educators from around the United States in an engaging online global education course last fall, and then meeting in Washington D.C. for a weekend symposium in February, I will embark on the final culmination of the program: global education in Morocco. From cultural site visits, presentations at the Ministry of Education, an embassy visit, and teaming with a teacher in his classroom for a week, this is sure to be a once and a lifetime professional learning experience. This blog will chronicle the adventure.

Friday, March 6, 2015

A Gracious Welcome

Wendy and I could not agree more that we have truly hit the jack-pot with our host school placement. Youssef is kind and helpful. His concern for our well-being and that we are comfortable is warming. Today he hosted us at his house for Friday couscous. This is quite symbolic for Friday is for Moslems similar to Sunday for Christians. As he said, “today we share couscous together”.  I felt part of his family today, and I thank him for this experience. And the couscous, was incredible. We ate it together from the same dish. We are collective as Youssef says.  Yes, collective, communal, collaborative.

In our plans at the school for the day Youssef is organized yet flexible. We spent two class periods with him, and then another class period with his colleague. Youssef and his students discussed cultural misunderstandings, so we shared this with his students. One student asked us many questions about Canada, such as the U.S. relations with our neighbor, and what social problems our nations face. Another student asked me what my view of the Sahara is. Uh-oh…!  Our maps show Western Sahara as separate, but it is not to Moroccans. Actually, it is an important point of contention with their neighbor Algeria. I told the students this is one of the many great reasons to travel to other places so that we can learn the truth of one’s viewpoint first hand.

We also spent time today meeting with his head master, the president of the parent committee, the vice principal, the administrator of attendance and discipline, and other school leaders. Although we were asked questions about American education, including addressing one about school violence or discipline issues,  I didn't feel like a teacher in this setting, but as an American diplomat representing my nation while striving to understand the viewpoint of those of another nation. And as Youssef and his colleague translated, I desperately wished I could speak Amazerigh (a.k.a Berber) to truly understand. Partnerships. Collaboration. This is what we are building-- this is what we are achieving. 

Like me, Youssef is not only open to global views and culture, but he is passionate about this subject. And also like me, he is passionate about his region and country. He was clearly proud to show us his school, his home, his city, his life. He is eager to expose his students to kids in other schools and countries through Skype, email, Youtube, and social media. Of course, Wendy and I are one way for him to bring the world to his classroom. I believe it was Youssef who said that many of these students have never met Americans. Today I thought of my own students often, wishing they were here to feel the warmth expressed by Youssef, the school staff, and all of the Moroccan students. Everyone was so genuinely excited to see us. I can't tell you how many invitations Wendy and I had for dinner. The president of the parent association has invited us over for tomorrow night! I was truly exhausted at the end of the day from the attention, and from all of the pictures taken. Today I felt like President Obama, or make that Mohammad V!  

And what a royal welcome we had!  After the school day ended, the English club and other students presented to us what a traditional Amerizigh wedding looks like. As soon as we arrived the girls were so proud and confident to greet us in their special occasion dress, typically these are worn to weddings and for Eid. I thought of how the girls in the U.S. feel in their prom dresses. After many photos with the girls, we were ushered to the multipurpose room, where eager parents, teachers, and students waited. Once the wedding party arrived, the collective singing and drumming began. The youthful innocence and the festive display of cultural pride was so touching. I am pretty sure I saw Wendy tearing up. We were both encouraged to participate with the girls when they applied henna to our hands, explaining that the is what the women do the night before the wedding (no men allowed!) This moving ceremonial show was followed by the traditional spread of Moroccan tea with delectable pastries. Sure, I will have another cup of tea, and just one… more... cookie…

After our tea and cookies I had the chance to share my passion about my own region, the great state of Michigan.  I am now confident that when the students, staff, and parents hear something about the United States, they will think beyond New York, Washington D.C., and Hollywood. And now I know that Morocco is more than Rabat, Casablanca, Marrakech. Morocco is Nador, the Rif, the Amerzigh too!  

I can't wait to explore the area further this next week and spend more time at the school. Thanks to my great host Youssef, I am certain it will continue surpass my expectations.

4 comments: